AFTER 166 years Scotland’s best selling weekly newspaper changes its look today.
The change comes after extensive research and consultation with readers, and will be accompanied by a range of other improvements to the title.
The relaunch was celebrated by staff at a function in Falkirk’s famous Callendar House hosted by managing director Richard Bell and editor Colin Hume.
The Falkirk Herald and Stirlingshire Monthly Advertiser was first printed in 1845 and bought by the Johnston family from Glasgow lawyer Alexander Hedderwick a year later. In 1851 it switched to weekly editions and went on to become the cornerstone of a local newspaper empire built up by successive generations of the family.
The number of titles in the ownership of F. Johnston and Company had grown to 24 by the time it came under the stewardship of Frederick Mair Johnston in 1936 and when his son, Frederick Patrick Mair Johnston became chairman in 1973 the expansion continued with the purchase of the Derbyshire Times, the second largest-selling weekly newspaper in England. Ownership of other leading groups in Yorkshire, Sussex and the Midlands quickly followed.
The parent firm was floated on the stock exchange in 1988 and today Johnston Press owns over 130 weekly, evening and national daily tiles including The Scotsman.