German prisoner of war who settled in Bonnybridge

One of the legacies left over from World War Two prisoners of war.'One German soldier who settled and made a life here after the  war was Fritz Ilx who became a popular member of the Bonnybridge community.'He was born in Breslau, Germany in 1916 and died in Bonnybridge Hospital in 1998.  He served in the German Air Force from 1930 until 1944 when he was captured by American forces.  He was held at Camp Carson, Colorado  and Camp Indianola, Nebraska before he was transferred to the Castle Rankine Camp, Bonnybridge in 1946.  'He worked on Bonnyhill Farm, and after his discharge in 1948 he remained in Bonnybridge.'Many thanks to Jean Jamieson of the Falkrik Archives at Callendar House for sending this story in.
One of the legacies left over from World War Two prisoners of war.'One German soldier who settled and made a life here after the war was Fritz Ilx who became a popular member of the Bonnybridge community.'He was born in Breslau, Germany in 1916 and died in Bonnybridge Hospital in 1998. He served in the German Air Force from 1930 until 1944 when he was captured by American forces. He was held at Camp Carson, Colorado and Camp Indianola, Nebraska before he was transferred to the Castle Rankine Camp, Bonnybridge in 1946. 'He worked on Bonnyhill Farm, and after his discharge in 1948 he remained in Bonnybridge.'Many thanks to Jean Jamieson of the Falkrik Archives at Callendar House for sending this story in.
0
Have your say

One of the legacies left over from World War II were prisoners of war.

One German soldier who made a life here after the war was Fritz Ilx who became a popular member of the Bonnybridge community.

He was born in Breslau, Germany in 1916 and died in Bonnybridge Hospital in 1998.

He served in the German Air Force from 1930 until 1944 when he was captured by American forces.

He was held at Camp Carson, Colorado and Camp Indianola, Nebraska before he was transferred to the Castle Rankine Camp, Bonnybridge in 1946.

He worked on Bonnyhill Farm, and after his discharge in 1948 he remained in Bonnybridge.

Many thanks to Jean Jamieson of the Falkrik Archives at Callendar House for sending this story in.