Falkirk church’s party for Polish troops

Parishioners of Falkirk's West Church entertain Polish troops during WWII with a costume party in May 1942. Picture: Falkirk Archives
Parishioners of Falkirk's West Church entertain Polish troops during WWII with a costume party in May 1942. Picture: Falkirk Archives

During World War II a large influx of Polish soldiers were stationed in Scotland and the good people of Falkirk welcomed them with open arms.

The Polish Navy arrived first and four of its destroyers sailed into the Forth on the day Germany invaded Poland on September 1, 1939.

An old house at South Bantaskine was occupied by troops during the war and was bought by the National Coal Board afterwards and then demolished.

In May 1942 parishioners of the West Church in Falkirk organised a costume party (pictured above) to entertain the Polish soldiers.

If you have any details about the photograph please let us know on (01324) 690249.

Many thanks to Jean Jamieson at Falkirk Archives for submitting this picture.