The paths of glory lead but to the grave
When the new Parish Church of Falkirk opened in 1811 there was an important meeting at which seats were allocated in proportion to the contribution made by the ‘heritors’ to the upkeep of the church, minister’s stipend, schoolmaster’s salary etc. The seat plan has survived and it will come as no surprise that the names William Forbes and Lord Thomas Dundas dominate with over 60 per cent of the places. These two men were far and away the largest landowners in the parish which at that time included much of the new village of Grangemouth. These places were thereafter reserved for their families, estate workers and other employees. There were other seat holders of course like John Heugh of Gartcows, Alexander Kincaid, surgeon George McCallum and even Carron Company but it was overwhelmingly the Forbes-Dundas show!